August 19th is observed in the United States as National Aviation Day. This date was picked because it coincides with Orville Wright’s birthday. Given that Orville and his brother Wilbur made such great strides in aviation history, it seems fitting that this date would be picked. According to timeanddate.com, President Franklin Roosevelt proclaimed August 19th as National Aviation Day back in 1939.
Wright Brothers: They Had the “Wright” Stuff
Interestingly though, did you know that the Wright brothers are, “given credit for building the world’s first successful airplane with aircraft controls that enabled them to steer the plane?” According to timeanddate.com,
“They [Wright brothers] were not the first to build and fly experimental aircraft but they are the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed wing flight possible. The Wright brothers’ status as inventors of the airplane has been an issue of debate, particularly as there were competing claims regarding other early aviators.”
You may not have learned who invented the fixed wing airplane correctly as a child – but we sure do need those steering controls! So, thank you Wright brothers.
Things To Do On National Aviation Day
We at Aero Jet Medical love flying. We have the added privilege of caring for people while we fly as well. So, we think National Aviation Day is pretty special and should be celebrated. What can you do to celebrate? Here are some ideas:
- Talk about aviation with your kids. Many children want to be pilots when they grow up.
- Discuss with them what is needed to become a pilot and the training involved.
- Find research on the Internet or books in the library about famous pilots (like the Wright brothers, Amelia Earhart, etc.).
- Make different types of paper airplanes and see which fly the farthest and the fastest.
- Look at maps and notice how long it takes to drive versus fly to destinations.
- Go to museums that feature aviation related exhibits.
- NASA has some fun ideas as well that your kids may enjoy.
- Take a trip. This is a fun one – right? But, why not enjoy National Aviation Day by actually flying somewhere soon? There are a lot of low fares out there right now. And, Will Lipovsky of savingadvice.com gives many ways to save on flights.
- Interview a pilot – active or retired. Pilots lead exciting lives because they travel all over the world. By just taking a moment to sit and listen to their stories, we think you will be fascinated by some of the details you learn. Pilots always have to be alert and ready to act in an emergency. And, yet, they also have the privilege of seeing some of the best views this world has to offer. So, if you know one, make some time to ask them about their job. Most are more than excited to tell you about it.
Aviation Partnered With Healthcare: It’s What We Do
In honor of National Aviation Day we at Aero Jet Medical will continue to do what we do every day. We will be ready to safely and comfortably fly you, your loved one, or your patient back home when they need medical transport. We use fixed wing jet air ambulances. Because they are jets, we can fly above 40,000 feet making it more comfortable for the patient. We always use two pilots for safety and our executive team has over a century of combined experience. We are ready when you need us!
How will you celebrate National Aviation Day? We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment in the comments section below. Thanks.